Also visit listing on Earlybird website: earlybird.co/apply
Earlybird is Hiring a Senior PHP Developer!
We're looking to hire bright, fun people who are willing to work hard. All our projects are a group effort and you must be capable of working collaboratively with creative, technical, and client management types. Everyone at Earlybird shares a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere.
Working at Earlybird will help you create a foundation of success on projects incorporating cutting-edge design and UX, analytics and data-driven business, and multi-layer, multi-platform applications. Candidates should be very comfortable with ongoing learning and skill-building, both because certain projects may require it and for pleasure and personal development. Earlybird is looking for inquisitive and ranging minds. You should be excited by the idea of tackling a variety of interesting problems and helping the success of people who are doing cool things.
WHAT’S THE JOB?
Work closely with our all-star team to plan, architect, code, and optimize modern web applications. Your role will be to build innovative, smart applications from the ground up, using your diverse set of skills, libraries and web development experiences.
- Code, test, ship. In Earlybird’s refined sprint structure, you’ll work with the project managers and design team to define scope, research any new tools, and code a demonstrable feature set.
- Bug-busting. Our projects have many moving parts, and those parts sometimes break. When bugs pop up, you’ll track down exactly what the problem is, then fix it or quickly and courteously get coworkers to help.
- Getting it perfect and out the door. Then doing it again tomorrow. We work hard to maintain a level of excellence across our entire client experience. We have high expectations for our projects.
WHAT KIND OF SKILLS DO I NEED?
Our primary language is PHP and our framework of choice is Laravel. We love our tools and respect the organization and time-saving they provide. As a result, we anticipate you’ll get very familiar with our tech tools and processes. Experience using the technologies in our primary workflows is a must.
- 2+ years of PHP OOP experience. Bonus if you’ve contributed to PHP’s growing open source community.
- Must be very confident using MVC frameworks, utilizing the full suite of tools to respect DRY principles and build intuitive, readable code.
- Must be familiar with Git to maintain an up-to-date codebase and communicate your changes clearly with the rest of the team.
- Experience working with MySQL, SQL, and SQLite.
- Must be able to finalize the project by pushing the site live -- including setting up DNS routes, and a new server instances and database duplication.
- Familiarity with CSS, SASS, and HTML. Front-end framework experience is also helpful (Bootstrap, Framework 7)
- Experience maintaining dev environments on Azure or AWS.
- Ability to code feature requests from specification documents, wireframes, flowcharts and whiteboard sessions.
- General familiarity with Agile development practices.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay and benefits. All full-time employees are entitled to 20 days of paid time off per year, which includes vacation as well as sick/personal days. We ask that for any planned vacation days, you provide proper notice to ensure your projects aren’t significantly disrupted by your absence. The Company currently does not offer an employer health care program yet. When this program is started, you will be immediately entitled to our standard health program. Prior to this program starting, the company will reimburse you via stipend for some of your health care insurance expenses.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Like everyone else here, you’re welcome to come in a sweatshirt, jeans, dress, full suit, whatever.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is quiet, we are known to occasionally burst out in song or pick up the odd card game.
- Lunch and learn with Chicago’s top dev experts. From design to devops, we invite knowledgeable individuals to share their insights. We invest in our dev processes and find experts to inspire us.
- Grow your skillset! All of our team is encouraged to learn new languages and libraries. Our back-end devs ship iOS. Our designers write HTML (and push on Git… finally!). Our PMs know Laravel. What new challenge do you want to tackle?
Great! Here’s what we need from you:
1) Your resume.
2) A thoughtful cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past work experience has prepared you for this kind of position.
3) Send to email@example.com.
If you decide to apply, please know that every complete application will be carefully reviewed. Seriously! We know it is a time commitment to prepare an application, and we respect that effort by thoughtfully reviewing every complete application and responding one way or the other. But that kind of thoughtful review means that it sometimes takes us awhile to get back to applicants.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Earlybird Software provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to the requirements in federal law, Earlybird complies with the applicable rules and regulations set forth by the State of Illinois and the City of Chicago. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Earlybird expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference or violations of this policy may result in discipline up to and including discharge.